There are some very specific tell-tale signs that your home is experiencing a sewage backup.
- Gurgling sounds from your drains or toilets.
- Water backing up out of drains or toilets.
- Water pooling around drains or toilets.
- Smell of raw sewage coming from your drains.
What Causes Sewage Blockages?
The main cause of sewage blockage are objects and debris but also a buildup of grease.
But often, in the Atlanta, Ga. area we do find that another main cause are tree roots that tend to grow towards sewer pipes (they are attracted to the water in the pipes).The tree root(s) can either create a crack in the pipe or if they find an existing crack, they will then begin to creep their way in which, over time, will cause a blockage in the sewer pipe.
Other reasons that would cause a sewer line clog resulting in a backup are...
- Building foundation defects could affect the sewer line depending on where the sewer line is located.
- City sewer pipes could become clogged due to no fault of your home. Click here for a listing of local water and sewer departments.
- Severe weather causing flooding.
- Broken pipes.
Tips On Preventing Sewage Backup Problems
Here are some helpful tips on how you can work towards preventing sewer backups.
- Clean out your sewer lines every 18 - 22 months. It's less costly to clean it out before it gets clogged.
- Avoid pouring grease down your drain pipes (and garbage disposals). Grease can harden and cause a clog.
- Avoid flushing anything down your toilet with the exception of toilet paper. This includes flushable wipes which are not safe to flush.
- Check for cracks in your basement / foundation. We recommend waterproofing your crawlspace / basement for more protection.
- If you don't yet have a sump pump installed in your basement - we do recommend putting one in.
- Get a professional assessment from a plumber on the current condition of your sewer pipes. If they are old pipes, you may want to consider switching them to PVC piping. Read more about tree roots and PVC piping.
If you have any problems or questions about your sewer system, call Atlantis Plumbing today at 770-505-8570. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We Offer Sewer Services in Metro Atlanta and Surrounding Areas
Fulton County, Bartow County, Cobb County, Paulding County, Cherokee County, Gwinnett County, and Douglas County.
Acworth GA, Atlanta GA, Austell GA, Cartersville GA, Doraville GA, Douglasville GA, Hiram GA, Kennesaw GA, Lawrenceville GA, Lithia Springs GA, Loganville GA, Mableton GA, Marietta GA, Powder Springs GA, Rockmart GA, Roswell GA, Smyrna GA, Tucker GA, Villa Rica GA, Vinings GA, Woodstock GA, and Surrounding Communities.