If your drain is clogged with hair, there's an easy solution that can unclog it without having to call a plumber. All you need is a mixture of baking soda and white distilled vinegar.
How To Unclog A Drain With Baking Soda And White Distilled Vinegar
The recipe includes:
- 1 cup of baking soda
- 1 cup of distilled white vinegar
- Pour the baking soda down the drain.
- Wait for about 5 minutes.
- Pour the distilled white vinegar down the drain.
- Wait at least 2 hours.
- Turn on the faucet to run some water.
- If you still notice a clog, repeat the process.
It's not unusual to have to repeat this a few times. It simply depends on the amount of hair that is causing the clog. But normally, this recipe works to dissolve the hair that is in your drain.
How Do You Dissolve Hair In A Drain?
The vast majority of clogged drains are the result of hair becoming lodged in the pipes. So, it's very useful to have a few different methods on hand for unclogging a drain clogged with hair.
- One of the easiest solutions is to use the baking soda and vinegar recipe we mentioned above. But there are other methods that can be used as well.
- One popular method is to use a plunger. If you have a plunger, you can try to force the clog out by plunging it up and down in the drain.
- Another method is to use a hair snake. This is a plastic snake that is inserted into the drain in an effort to unclog it.
- If the clog is visible, you may be able to use tweezers to pull it out of the drain.
- You can also try using a plunger. This method sometimes works. It may not bring the clog all the way out but it may bring it up close enough to the drain opening that you can see it and pull it out.
How Do You Dissolve Hair In A Shower Drain Naturally?
Besides the baking soda and vinegar recipe we mentioned above, one other "natural" method that you can use to dislodge that hair clog in your drain is a recipe of baking soda and salt.
- 1 cup of baking soda
- 1/2 cup of regular salt
- Mix the two ingredients together in one container.
- Pour the mixture down the drain.
- Leave it overnight. Do not run any water down that drain.
- In the morning, pour 2 cups of boiling hot water down the drain.
Hopefully, either the vinegar recipe or salt recipe will dissolve the hair that is in your drain causing that clog. If not, and you have tried every other method but nothing seems to work, please contact your plumber for professional help.
Can Hydrogen Peroxide Dissolve Hair In A Drain?
Another method that people sometimes use is hydrogen peroxide.
Hydrogen peroxide is a very effective way to unclog a drain that is clogged with hair. It is a great chemical to use because it breaks down the hair very easily and it doesn’t produce any harmful fumes.
- 3% hydrogen peroxide
- 1 cup of baking soda
- Pour 1 cup of baking soda down the drain
- Wait for about 10 minutes
- Pour 1 cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide down the drain
- You should notice it to start foaming
- Let that sit for 2 to 3 hours
- Pour 2 cups of boiling hot water down the drain
- Repeat if necessary
When you combine hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, it becomes a powerful chemical that can remove any organic debris from your drains. This technique is great for deodorizing as well because of its ability to kill odor-causing bacteria without harming natural minerals in pipes!
How Do You Prevent Hair From Clogging Your Drain?
One of the best ways to prevent hair from clogging your drain is to install a hair catcher. This is a device that is placed in the drain and catches the hair before it can go down the drain.
Another way to prevent hair from clogging your drain is to make sure you brush your hair before you shower. This will help to remove the hair from your hair before you shower.
Finally, make sure to trim your hair regularly. This will help to keep the amount of hair that goes down the drain to a minimum.
If you have any questions about unclogging drains or are having some problems with it, call Atlantis Plumbing today at 770-505-8570. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We Offer Drain Cleaning in Metro Atlanta and Surrounding Areas
Fulton County, Bartow County, Cobb County, Paulding County, Cherokee County, Gwinnett County, and Douglas County.
Acworth GA, Atlanta GA, Austell GA, Cartersville GA, Doraville GA, Douglasville GA, Hiram GA, Kennesaw GA, Lawrenceville GA, Lithia Springs GA, Loganville GA, Mableton GA, Marietta GA, Powder Springs GA, Rockmart GA, Roswell GA, Smyrna GA, Tucker GA, Villa Rica GA, Vinings GA, Woodstock GA, and Surrounding Communities.