If you notice that your dishwasher isn't draining - you may suspect that it's a clog. Truth is it could be several reasons (read more about that here).
So, the very first thing to do is to find out if it indeed is a clog and then either work to unclog it yourself or call in a plumber to do the job for you.
How To Tell If A Dishwasher Is Clogged
The signs of a clogged dishwasher are fairly easy to spot:
- You hear gurgling sounds coming from your sink's drain when your dishwasher is running.
- Your dishes and glasses are not cleaned after they've been through a cycle in the dishwasher.
- You notice water coming up from your kitchen sink's drain while the dishwasher is running.
- You notice water sitting in your sink and/or the bottom of the dishwasher after you've run a cycle.
All of these 4 instances most likely indicate that there's a clog somewhere either in your dishwasher or in the main sewer line or secondary lines connected to the dishwasher.
General Steps To Unclog A Dishwasher
There are 6 basic steps to take:
- Make sure the electricity to your dishwasher is turned off by switching it off in your fuse box.
- Empty the dishwasher and remove the bottom rack.
- Remove any water that is sitting at the bottom of the dishwasher. You can use a towel to soak that up.
- Locate your drain hose (this connects your dishwasher to your garbage disposal). This can be either under your sink or behind the dishwasher.
- Disconnect your drain hose and clean it out. Make sure to place a pan or pot underneath it to catch any water in the hose.
- Check your dishwasher drain filter. Every model is different so check online for your specific model and the location of your dishwasher drain. Clean that out.
How To Clean Out Your Dishwasher's Drain Hose
- Once the drain hose has been removed you can begin inspecting it and cleaning it.
- Use some type of stick or straightened out coat hanger to remove any debris that may be in there.
- If you have a long enough soft brush that you can use to clean it out that may be useful too.
- Run clean water through the hose to make sure that it's completely clear of any blockage.
How To Clean Your Dishwasher Drain Filter
- As we said earlier - every model dishwasher is different so check online for an owner's manual for your specific model. But generally - these filters are somewhere at the bottom of your dishwasher and should be easy to locate.
- You should be able to turn the filter clockwise and remove it. Again, check your owner's manual.
- Clean the filter with soap and water. You want to use a soft brush (not a wire brush or anything rough).
- Once it's all clean and clear of any debris, replace the filter.
If you have any questions about dishwasher problems, call Atlantis Plumbing today at 770-505-8570. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We Offer Plumbing Fixture Services in Metro Atlanta and Surrounding Areas
Fulton County, Bartow County, Cobb County, Paulding County, Cherokee County, Gwinnett County, and Douglas County.
Acworth GA, Atlanta GA, Austell GA, Cartersville GA, Doraville GA, Douglasville GA, Hiram GA, Kennesaw GA, Lawrenceville GA, Lithia Springs GA, Loganville GA, Mableton GA, Marietta GA, Powder Springs GA, Rockmart GA, Roswell GA, Smyrna GA, Tucker GA, Villa Rica GA, Vinings GA, Woodstock GA, and Surrounding Communities.