One of the most common reasons our plumbers get called is for clogged toilets. And yes, most homeowners attempt to unclog it first before they call us.
It's true that there is no 100% foolproof method to EVER preventing a toilet from getting backed up but there are definitely steps that you can take to minimize it.
Top 10 Tips On Toilet Preventative Maintenance
Here is our list of the top 10 things that you can do to keep your toilet in tip top condition.
- An obvious tip is to NOT flush anything down the toilet other than human waste and toilet paper. Wet Wipes are NOT toilet paper and we recommend you avoid flushing these - even though many are labeled "flushable" - it's not true.
- Although wet wipes will eventually break down, the process takes a lot longer than toilet paper. Because it takes so long, they can easily accumulate and cause blockages which then clog your pipes.
- And when it comes to toilet paper - you don't want to flush TOO much down the toiet - that will get clogged as well.
- The best type of plunger we can recommend is a Flange Plunger. If and when you have to use it - this will give you the best results.
- Twice a year (every 6 months) lift the lid of your toilet tank and check to make sure that all the parts in there are working correctly.
- Keep your toilet and surrounding area clean. The cleanliness isn't as important as the inspection that you can do while you are cleaning. Again, checking to make sure there are no leaks, etc.
- Best cleaning supplies for your toilet are vinegar, baking soda or a mild soap. Chemical drain cleaners are not recommended because they can damage older pipes and septice tanks. If you're not sure if your pipes are old - then stay away from the commercial chemical cleaners.
- Toilet leaks can be indicative of a small blockage - so before it gets worse and you end up with a clogged toilet and overflow in your bathroom - get any toilet leaks looked at and fixed immediately.
- If you're trying to save
- Proper Flushing means to flush the toilet periodically while in use. In other words - don't wait until you are finished and have put several wads of toilet paper in the bowl before you flush.
- Keep a small garbage bin with a lid close enough to the toilet so that you can place unflushable items in there.
Just a few of the things that we've seen clog toilets include...
- Small Toys
- Facial Tissues
- Paper Towels
- Feminine Hygiene Products
- Dental Floss
- Coffee Grounds
Best Toilet Paper To Avoid Clogs
In general, you want to avoid toilet paper that is cushiony or markets itself as having "extra plush". Also, 1 ply paper will dissolve quicker so we do recommend that.
What If Your Toilet Is Clogging Repeatedly
If you find that your toilet gets clogged often, the problem may be more than just what you're putting down the toilet.
The problem may be in your main sewer line.
General maintenance of a sewer line recommends that it should be cleaned out every 18 - 22 months.
Signs That You've Got A Clog In Your Sewer Line
- Gurgling sounds from your drains or toilets.
- Water backing up out of drains or toilets.
- Water pooling around drains or toilets.
- Smell of raw sewage coming from your drains.
There are 3 main causes of sewer blockages:
- Tree Roots
Any of these will keep building up over time and generally, the longer you wait to get your sewer lines cleaned out - the more the project may end up costing you.
Clogged Toilets Due To Septic Tank Problems
If your home has a septic tank, then clogged toilet problems may be due to a clog or other problem in that septic tank. If that tank or the lines become clogged, then the tank will eventually overfill and everything will start backing up. We recommend that you avoid this problem by getting your septic system serviced on a regular basis.
If you need help with a clogged toilet, call Atlantis Plumbing today at 770-505-8570. We are here for you 24 hours a day - 7 days a week!.
We Offer Toilet Services in Metro Atlanta and Surrounding Areas
Fulton County, Bartow County, Cobb County, Paulding County, Cherokee County, Gwinnett County, and Douglas County.
Acworth GA, Atlanta GA, Austell GA, Cartersville GA, Doraville GA, Douglasville GA, Hiram GA, Kennesaw GA, Lawrenceville GA, Lithia Springs GA, Loganville GA, Mableton GA, Marietta GA, Powder Springs GA, Rockmart GA, Roswell GA, Smyrna GA, Tucker GA, Villa Rica GA, Vinings GA, Woodstock GA, and Surrounding Communities.