Hearing any strange sound coming from your toilet can be disturbing. After all, it's usually a sign that something has gone wrong. A high pitched sound normally occurs after your flush your toilet.
There's no need to panic though, this is usually a fairly easy fix.
In this article we'll go over the most common reason why your toilet is making this high pitched sound and what you can do to stop it.
What Is The High Pitched Sound?
That high pitched sound you hear after you flush it is usually caused by either a clogged fill valve screen or a worn out fill valve.
What Can I Do About It?
If your toilet is making a high pitched sound after flushing, the fill valve screen may be clogged with debris. If this is the case, the best solution is to clean the screen or replace the fill valve.
Replacement valves are inexpensive and easy to install, so it's usually better to go with this option than to try and clean the screen.
If you're not comfortable doing this yourself, you can always call a professional plumber for assistance.
How Do I Clean The Fill Valve Screen?
If you decide that you want to clean the fill valve screen, here are the steps on how to do that.
1. Turn off the water supply to the toilet by turning the valve shutoff knob located behind the toilet.
2. Flush the toilet to drain as much water as possible from the tank.
3. Disconnect the fill hose from the toilet tank by unscrewing it counterclockwise.
4. Carefully remove the fill valve from the toilet tank.
5. Clean any debris off of the screen on the fill valve with a brush.
6. Replace the fill valve and reconnect the fill hose.
7. Turn on the water supply to the toilet by turning the valve shutoff knob clockwise.
8. Flush the toilet to check for leaks. If there are any leaks, tighten the connections.
If you're having trouble removing the sediment, you can try soaking the screen in white distilled vinegar overnight. If you still can't get the sediment off, you may need to get a new fill valve.
If your toilet is still making a high pitched sound after following these steps, it may be because you need a new fill valve.
How Do I Remove The Fill Valve?
If you're comfortable doing so, you can remove the fill valve yourself.
This is a relatively easy process, and you can find detailed instructions on how to do it. Just be sure to take care when handling the valve, as they can be fragile.
Here are the steps on how to remove a toilet's fill valve.
1. Turn off the water supply to the toilet by turning the valve on the wall behind it to the "off" position.
2. Flush the toilet and hold down the flush lever to drain as much water from the tank as possible.
3. Disconnect the water supply line from the toilet by unscrewing it from the valve on the tank.
4. Lift the toilet tank lid and remove the chain or plastic clip that attaches the flapper to the overflow tube.
5. Reach into the toilet tank and unscrew the fill valve from the bottom of the tank.
6. Take the old fill valve to a hardware store or plumbing supply store to find a replacement.
7. Follow the instructions that come with the new fill valve to install it.
8. Reconnect the water supply line, replace the toilet tank lid and attach the flapper chain or clip.
9. Turn on the water supply by turning the valve on the wall behind the toilet.
10.Check for leaks by flushing the toilet and watching to see if water is seeping from any of the connections.
How Much Will It Cost To Replace The Fill Valve?
Replacement valves are inexpensive, and most hardware stores will carry them.
Installation is also a relatively easy process, so you can save money by doing it yourself.
If you're not comfortable doing this yourself, you can always call a professional plumber for assistance. They will be able to remove the fill valve quickly and easily, and they may even be able to install a new one for you.
How Do I Replace The Fill Valve?
Replacing the fill valve is a relatively easy process, and most hardware stores will carry the necessary parts.
Here are the basic steps you'll need to take:
1. Shut off the water supply to your toilet by turning off the valve behind it.
2. Flush the toilet to empty it of water.
3. Detach the refill tube from the toilet tank.
4. Remove the old fill valve by unscrewing it from the toilet tank.
5. Install the new fill valve by screwing it into place.
6. Reconnect the refill tube to the toilet tank and turn on the water supply.
7. Flush the toilet to check for leaks.
If you have any questions, your local hardware store will be able to help you out.
No one wants to hear their toilet making a high pitched sound, but it's usually an easy fix. By following the steps in this article, you can replace the fill valve and stop the noise. If you have any questions, your local hardware store will be able to help you out.
If you have any questions about your toilet or are having some problems with it, call Atlantis Plumbing today at 770-505-8570. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We Offer Toilet Services in Metro Atlanta and Surrounding Areas
Fulton County, Bartow County, Cobb County, Paulding County, Cherokee County, Gwinnett County, and Douglas County.
Acworth GA, Atlanta GA, Austell GA, Cartersville GA, Doraville GA, Douglasville GA, Hiram GA, Kennesaw GA, Lawrenceville GA, Lithia Springs GA, Loganville GA, Mableton GA, Marietta GA, Powder Springs GA, Rockmart GA, Roswell GA, Smyrna GA, Tucker GA, Villa Rica GA, Vinings GA, Woodstock GA, and Surrounding Communities.