Yes, bleach does kill drain flies. But if you are concerned about using bleach in your drains - you can look into some commercial and home remedies that are less harsh that may also help to kill those pesky drain flies.
How Much Bleach Does It Take To Kill Drain Flies?
The amount of bleach needed to kill drain flies depends on how back the infestation is. But generally speaking, the recipe calls for 1 part bleach to 10 parts water.1. Combine 1 part bleach to 10 parts water
2. Pour this mixture down the drain
3. Let it sit for about 4 hours
4. Run cold water down the drain
This bleach method may work but know that it doesn't have the scouring effect that baking soda and salt have to scrub the pipes (and help to remove the larvae).
What Kills Drain Flies?
The other methods that can help you to kill drain flies are...
The Baking Soda Method
1. Pour 1/2 cup each of baking soda and salt followed by 1 cup of white vinegar down the drain.
2. Let that sit overnight and then in the morning, pour a large pot of boiling water down the drain.
3. Repeat this process twice a week for several weeks or until you stop seeing the flies.
The Hot Water Method
1. Pour a large pot of boiling water down the drain(s) twice a week for several weeks or until you stop seeing the flies.
The Commercial Product Method
Products like the ones listed below are commercially sold at your local hardware store or Amazon and can be used to kill drain flies.
1) Bye-Bye Drain Flies by Pest Peeve
2) Green Gobbler Fruit Fly Gel Drain Treatment
3) Fly Away Drain Fly Treatment & Drain Opener
What Causes Drain Flies?
Drain flies can be found most anywhere throughout the United States. They are attracted to moist areas (like drains and pipes) that are filled with decaying organic matter (like food or sewage).
The best way to prevent drain flies is to keep to a drain cleaning schedule like using a drain cleaner once a week in the drains that you use most often.
If there are drains in your home that you do not use frequently, we recommend that you keep them covered.
If you have any questions about drain flies, call Atlantis Plumbing today at 770-505-8570. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We Offer Drain Cleaning in Metro Atlanta and Surrounding Areas
Fulton County, Bartow County, Cobb County, Paulding County, Cherokee County, Gwinnett County, and Douglas County.
Acworth GA, Atlanta GA, Austell GA, Cartersville GA, Doraville GA, Douglasville GA, Hiram GA, Kennesaw GA, Lawrenceville GA, Lithia Springs GA, Loganville GA, Mableton GA, Marietta GA, Powder Springs GA, Rockmart GA, Roswell GA, Smyrna GA, Tucker GA, Villa Rica GA, Vinings GA, Woodstock GA, and Surrounding Communities.