Here in Georgia, we are fortunate that the majority of the state has the lowest levels of hard water found in the United States. So, it's safe to say that generally speaking, Atlanta has soft water.
You can see from the Water Hardiness Map of the United States here that the great majority of Georgia has soft water.
How Do I Know If I Have Hard Water Or Soft Water?
According to Wikipedia, "Hard water is formed when water percolates through deposits of limestone and chalk which are largely made up of calcium and magnesium carbonates."
Besides mineral buildup around water fixtures, other signs that indicate you have hard water include any of the following:
- Your water heater elements don't seem to last as long as they should.
- Soap scum on shower walls, bathtubs, curtains or shower doors.
- Spots on dishes, flatware and glasses after they have been in the dishwasher.
- Dry and itchy skin.
- Dull and scratchy clothing.
But again, if you live in the Atlanta, GA area then you shouldn't have to worry about hard water issues.
Pros And Cons Of Soft Water
There are several benefits to living in an area that has soft water.
- Softer Skin - because the concentration of calcium and magnesium are greatly reduced in soft water your skin won't have a buildup of those minerals (which tend to make the skin dry). Soft water truly rinses your skin much cleaner than hard water.
- Clearer Skin - all those minerals in hard water can clog your pores, cause breakouts, acne and if your skin gets dry enough you may end up with some eczema and other dry skin problems. Soft water can help to give you some relief from all of that.
- Silky and Smooth Hair - your skin is not the only beneficiary of soft water. Your hair and scalp are too. You can help to relieve your scalp of that itchy, dry feeling and you will be able to rinse the shampoo build-up from your hair giving your hair the chance to be as beautiful as it should be.
The main downside to soft water is...
It has high levels of sodium so drinking alot of this type of water can cause you harm. We recommend that you filter your tap water before you drink it.
All in all, the pros outweight the cons. We are fortunate in the Atlanta, Georgia area in many ways and having soft water so easily available to us is just another thing that makes living here wonderful.
If you have any questions about your plumbing or are having some problems with it, call Atlantis Plumbing today at 770-505-8570. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We Offer Plumbing Services in Metro Atlanta and Surrounding Areas
Fulton County, Bartow County, Cobb County, Paulding County, Cherokee County, Gwinnett County, and Douglas County.
Acworth GA, Atlanta GA, Austell GA, Cartersville GA, Doraville GA, Douglasville GA, Hiram GA, Kennesaw GA, Lawrenceville GA, Lithia Springs GA, Loganville GA, Mableton GA, Marietta GA, Powder Springs GA, Rockmart GA, Roswell GA, Smyrna GA, Tucker GA, Villa Rica GA, Vinings GA, Woodstock GA, and Surrounding Communities.