In Georgia, water heater expansion tanks (aka Thermal expansion tanks) are required on new water heaters.
Like most appliances in your home - expansion tanks do have a lifespan so at some point - they will need to be replaced. The average lifespan of an expansion tank is between 5 to 10 years.
What Is An Expansion Tank?
Let's start with the basics - most homeowners (especially new homeowners) have no idea what an expansion tank is, what it does and why they would even need one.
- An expansion tank is usually a small tank that is connected to your water heater.
- It's purpose is to prevent the water pressure level in your home from getting too high. It acts as a safety device to help you minimize the risk of damage to your hot water tank.
- High water pressure can cause leaky pipes, leaky fixtures, pipes to explode which end up causing premature failure of faucets and fixtures.
- An expansion tank is divided into two section:
- The top section is where the water flows through
- The bottom section holds pressured air
- Normally, expansion tanks work without a problem. But, as we stated earlier, like any other piece of equipment - they do have a limited lifespan.
How To Tell If Your Expansion Tank Has Gone Bad
Here are the signs to look for to identify if your thermal expansion tank is in need of being replaced.
- If you notice any dripping water from the expansion tank, you need a new one.
- Check the air valve on the tank with an air gauge instrument. If you notice water bleeding out of the air valve - then you need to replace the tank.
- You may notice little black flecks in your toilet water - this may be a sign for a new tank.
- If you tap on the tank you should hear a hollow sound. If you don't and you heard a "thud" type of sound - it may need replacing.
If you have any questions about your water heater's expansion tank, call the Atlanta plumbers - Atlantis Plumbing today at 770-505-8570. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We Offer Water Heater Services in Metro Atlanta and Surrounding Areas
Fulton County, Bartow County, Cobb County, Paulding County, Cherokee County, Gwinnett County, and Douglas County.
Acworth GA, Atlanta GA, Austell GA, Cartersville GA, Doraville GA, Douglasville GA, Hiram GA, Kennesaw GA, Lawrenceville GA, Lithia Springs GA, Loganville GA, Mableton GA, Marietta GA, Powder Springs GA, Rockmart GA, Roswell GA, Smyrna GA, Tucker GA, Villa Rica GA, Vinings GA, Woodstock GA, and Surrounding Communities.