Many homeowners who use a garbage disposal have experienced it getting clogged. This happens more often than you might think, especially when there are multiple family members in a home and especially during the holidays when there's a higher chance of grease and items that shouldn't go down the disposal.
So, can you plunge a garbage disposal? The answer is yes, using a sink plunger. There are other methods that can be used to unclog the disposal unit and a plunger is one of them.
How To Unclog a Garbage Disposal with A Plunger
A plunger may be the solution you need to completely unclog your disposal or at the very least, dislodge the clog enough so that any of the above solutions may work to finish the job.
Here is the step by step guide on using a plunger on your kitchen sink.
- If you have a double sink - seal off the side without the disposal using a wet cloth or a stopper.
- Fill the sink with the disposal with about 3 inches of water. Enough to engulf the bottom of the plunger which will then create a tight seal.
- Place the plunger securely over the drain and plunge forcefully 5 or 6 times.
- Lift the plunger, if the water in the sink drains away then you have successfully cleared the clog.
- If you notice that the water is not draining, repeat the process 2 or 3 times.
- If you notice that the water is draining very slowly, either repeat the process with the plunger or try one of the other solutions above to further clear the blockage.
Other Methods Of Unclogging Your Garbage Disposal
As we mentioned earlier, there are several methods that you can use to unclog your garbage disposal.
- Use baking soda and vinegar
- Use baking soda and salt
- Use salt and boiling water
- Use boiling water
- Use a plunger
- Use a plumber's snake
If you have any questions about your garbage disposal or are having some problems with it, call Atlantis Plumbing today at 770-505-8570. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We Offer Garbage Disposal Services in Metro Atlanta and Surrounding Areas
Fulton County, Bartow County, Cobb County, Paulding County, Cherokee County, Gwinnett County, and Douglas County.
Acworth GA, Atlanta GA, Austell GA, Cartersville GA, Doraville GA, Douglasville GA, Hiram GA, Kennesaw GA, Lawrenceville GA, Lithia Springs GA, Loganville GA, Mableton GA, Marietta GA, Powder Springs GA, Rockmart GA, Roswell GA, Smyrna GA, Tucker GA, Villa Rica GA, Vinings GA, Woodstock GA, and Surrounding Communities.