Your concrete slab foundation provides a safe haven for all the pipes for your home, but it doesn't mean there's no chance of them bursting or breaking. You might not know about any problems until you start noticing something strange happening in the kitchen sink every time it rains outside (as an example).
A leaky pipe can do quite an amount of destruction quickly before anyone even knows what happened. That's why it's so important to call in a professional plumber to fix the problem before it gets worse.
Those leaks can cause a moisture problem that could end up affecting the integrity of your home's foundation. If you need to repair an under slab leak, don't wait until it's too late and has done serious damage! Nip the problem early.
14 Signs Of A Slab Leak
- Cracks in the concrete slab is an obvious one
- Pooling of water where there shouldn’t be - this could be indoor or outdoor
- Drywall cracks on your walls
- Soggy carpeting, deformed wood floors or any sign of a change in your flooring
- Baseboards are wet or moist
- Mold or mildew - even if you don’t see it you may smell it
- Interior doors that don’t close properly, but they used to
- An unexplained hot spot in your floor
- An unusually high water bill
- Your toilet(s) and/or showers and/or bathtubs back up
- Your water pressure decreases
- Your hot water heater is constantly running
- You hear odd sounds, running water but no faucets are turned on
- You notice that you are running out of hot water for no reason (this may indicate a leak in your hot water line)
What Kind Of Damage Can Be Caused If You Ignore A Slab Leak?
Leaks can cause serious problems if they aren't dealt with quickly. Even the smallest leak will lead to substantial issues as it worsens over time, and may also damage your home's structure or possessions in addition!
Leaks are the worst! Not only can they cause mold or mildew to grow, but you might have a health issue on your hands.
The 14 signs we listed above can give you an idea of the kinds of damage that a leak in your home's slab can cause.
But just to list some of the types of damage that this scenario could cause.
- Damage to flooring which would need to be replaced
- Damage to drywall and baseboards which would need to be replaced and repainted
- Mold and mildew which could cause health problems, especially for anyone living in the home with a compromised immune system
- High water bills
How Are Slab Leaks Repaired?
Although slab leaks are an emergency and we urge you to get the issue fixed as soon as possible, but there's no need to panic. The reality is that most professionals know how to fix them successfully and these days it’s not as difficult of a process as before!
Today, many slab leaks can be repaired using a method called trenchless plumbing.
The cost could range from $500.00 upwards - depends on where the leak is located, how difficult it is to access and what is needed to access it.
Slab Leaks And Homeowners Insurance
There are a few different types of insurance policies that cover slab leaks, but it's important to know the specific requirements for your policy and what caused the slab leak.
Speak with your insurance provider to get the information on what your policy will and will not cover.
If you have any questions about slab leaks or are having some problems with it, call Atlantis Plumbing today at 770-505-8570. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
We Offer Slab Leak Repair in Metro Atlanta and Surrounding Areas
Fulton County, Bartow County, Cobb County, Paulding County, Cherokee County, Gwinnett County, and Douglas County.
Acworth GA, Atlanta GA, Austell GA, Cartersville GA, Doraville GA, Douglasville GA, Hiram GA, Kennesaw GA, Lawrenceville GA, Lithia Springs GA, Loganville GA, Mableton GA, Marietta GA, Powder Springs GA, Rockmart GA, Roswell GA, Smyrna GA, Tucker GA, Villa Rica GA, Vinings GA, Woodstock GA, and Surrounding Communities.